Sometime in the year of 1875 a house of worship was built at West Clifty in Grayson County, Kentucky, by a few brethren of the Baptist faith with the object in view of constituting a church at that place, but before arrangements were completed for the organization, the house was on December 7, 1875 mysteriously burned.
But nothing daunted these faithful brethren, and they decided to call a presbytery and organize a church in a store house at that place... The articles of faith were read and adopted, where upon said brethren and sisters were constituted a church to be known and recognized as the United Baptist Church of Christ, named West Clifty...
This church was admitted as a member of Goshen association in the fall of 1876...At its first meeting this church decided to rebuild its house of worship and on April 15, 1876, decided to change its meeting place to the Bruner schoolhouse, near Grayson Springs Station, and to build a church house near the schoolhouse. This house of worship was ready for use in the spring of 1877. In February 1879, the name of the church changed from West Clifty to Springs Station.
This church prospered and grew so rapidly that in September 1892, the building being too small for the membership, it decided to move to its present site and build a larger house on what we now know as Old Leitchfield Road in Clarkson. This worship center was completed and dedicated on the third Sunday in October 1896. In July 1902, the new building was destroyed by fire. The cause of the fire was unknown. The church met in a called session on August 1, 1902, to discuss the situation. Like Nehemiah when the walls of Jerusalem were broken down, and after many prayers to God to show them the way, they all said, "Let us rise up and build..."
After six years of praying, toiling, and struggling through many difficulties and financial embarrassments the building, that still stands in our previous location, was free from debt and ready to be dedicated to the Lord on Sunday, October 18, 1908. On Saturday, October 17, 1908, the members decided to change its name from Spring Station to Clarkson, and will be known from now on as Clarkson Baptist Church. (See above picture.)
The church made further progress by building the parsonage in 1950 and adding Sunday School rooms along the back of the church in 1954.Clarkson Baptist Church went to full-time service in January 1955. Then in the early 1960's a basement was added to the church. In the mid 1970's the steeple was placed atop the church and 1978 the stained glass windows, which were installed in 1906 when the church was built, were repaired and releaded.
Once again, CBC was quickly outgrowing their worship center. After much prayer to God for guidance, in May 1996, ten acres of land located one mile down highway 62 was purchased. This property was paid in full in June 1997. In November 2000, our present worship center was completed and dedicated.
God has blessed us so much over the past years! We can't wait to see what he has in store for us next.